Pages

June 4, 2012

Patience

I had just finished very impatiently reprimanding my 3 year old for being demanding when I decided to take a few minutes to read a daily devotional from a book called Devotions for Moms by Ellen Banks.  I don't pick this book up everyday but today it seemed as though this post was written just for me.


June 4
Those who control their anger have great understanding; those with a hasty temper will make mistakes.
                                                                                                           Proverbs 14:29
As Christian moms we want to be good examples to our children in the area of patience. Having said that, many of us feel that patience is a daily struggle. 
I heard a story once about a man whose car was stalled in heavy traffic as the light turned green. All his efforts to start the engine failed, and a chorus of honking behind him made matters worse. He finally got out of his car, walked back to the first driver and said, "I'm sorry but I can't seem to get my car started. If you'll go up there and give it a try, I'll stay here and blow your horn for you!"
The honking drivers displayed quick tempers and folly.  Patient people are people of understanding. Because they are not only looking out for themselves, they are not generally hasty or impulsive. When pain, difficulty, or annoyance come into their lives, they are willing to stand back and attempt to evaluate a situation with some degree of calm.  
Quick tempered people, on the other hand, become angry or irritable very easily. They don't have a good perspective on any given situation, which stems from their lack of thought about other people's needs.  
The more we grow in Christ, the more patient we become, because patients is one of the evidences that God's spirit is present and working in our lives.  



Ahhhh....and then the mother regains perspective on life again.

I so often forget that Matthew is only three and place demands on him that are beyond his reach.

I am in the background honking my horn for everyone to get out of my way....because I am coming through and I will run over anything that's in my path.

I forget what is precious in life.

Slow down...

Breathe...

Father,
I thank you for your ongoing patience.  You continually lay your life down for me.  Help me to remember that Patience lives inside and I need to but tap into the well so that you may spring forth.  Help me love Matthew today.

You are so good to me...

1 comment: