Pages

February 23, 2013

Happy Heart Day!

This year instead of going out on fancy dates, my friend Natalie suggested that we get a group of people together for Valentine's Day.  And since I do everything that Natalie suggests...ha ha ha....I rolled with her idea and threw a Valentine's Day party.

What fun it is to throw a party!

I decided we would put all of the adults in the dining room and make it more formal and let all the kids eat in the kitchen and make as much noise (and mess) as they wanted.

This is what I came up with.

Menu:
Pink Lemonade
Caesar Salad
Lasagna
Garlic Bread
Texas Sheet Cake


A beautiful table complete with white table cloth, real silver and even candles. 

Sweet little jars of pink, red, and white m&m's.  I found these jars at Michael's in their wedding favor section.

I made two big Texas sheet cakes and used a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut them out.  They were so cute waiting for us to eat on the table.  



And I made these really simple happy heart wreaths out of heart shaped paper I cut with a paper punch.  I hung one on each chair.


I wish I could say I took more pictures.  Like of the huge lasagna and the biggest caesar salad I have ever seen.  Or of the friends (21 total) that filled our house and the fun we all had.  But I did not. Once everyone arrived I was busy hostessing and making sure everyone had what they needed.  

But what I will say is that it was one of the best Valentine's Days I have ever had.  My husband admitted the same.  Valentine's Day can often be a death sentence for guys. I have known many guys, including my own husband, who are scared to death when it gets close to this day.  "What will I get my wife.  Will she be happy?  Will I be in the dog house if I mess up?"  I know Patrick has been in this situation before. I am sure more than once.  Oh the pressures we put on our guys!

But this year was different.  It was amazing the difference in my day when I was not focused on myself. I did not have time to sit around wondering if Patrick was going to "perform" like the world has so defined what a good Valentine's Day is.  

It also comes to this...

I am loved by the creator of the world even if I don't get                

You can fill in the blank with whatever applies to you...flowers, chocolates, cards, candy...

We are loved by the creator of the world.  When we take the focus off of ourselves and focus on Him our eyes can be opened to see things differently.  Instead of "needing" to be loved by Patrick, I can see that I am already unconditionally loved by our Lord Jesus.  How great is that!  


And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love, lives in God, and God in him.  
1 John 4:16



I hope everyone had a Happy Heart Day this year!  

Love,
The Pendley's







1 comment: